Friday, December 5, 2014

Why I Quit My “Seems Promising” Job



My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style. 
- Maya Angelou
Before I started this post, I know some of my ex-colleagues might see this or maybe some of my words will get disagreements or dislike. But the purpose here is to arouse those who’re grinding in their jobs, some not even noticing they are grinding. So here is this post.

2008

I was a newbie in an IT distributor company (yes fast paced industry). I need to learn everything and do everything I was told, that’s my job. I thought this might be a good start in a good company. I’m not sure whether that thought was implanted by my the ex-colleagues or myself but I’m sure it was at everyone’s tongue and still is. I had no goal no plan but kept learning and execute. I was just a somebody with low income. How much anger and unfair I gained I swallowed. It was my routine for 2 years.

2010

A manager brought me up to assist her. It was only one level up and of course better pay. I was glad (I am still glad actually) that I was “her girl” as she’s a good and caring leader. I learnt more and soon after that my job was promising with another thought that “I can have a better future from here”. I worked harder. Everyone thought it was right including me. Everyday was a routine, and grinding was a practice.

Then, I realized it wasn’t what I wanted. I didn’t know what I want to be frank, but I was dying and becoming a zombie that rrrrgggrrr to work and aaarrrggrrr at my workdesk and rrrggrrr back home. I did good in my job but wasn’t satisfying myself. It was killing my years, health, patience and mental. And in a fast paced industry which many like to be in, it sucked my blood. I’m not complaining about my manager, she’s good! Really! But the routine and everyday grinding were taking myself away.

2014

I decided to quit, without good saving in my account. I could have a good jump into another world with higher income and position but I gave it up. It was right in front of me but I know it wasn’t the thing I want. I could pretend to be the “someone” in “the another world” but I know I won’t be satisfied, I won’t be happy. Seriously, lots, and I mean real lots of people are pretending to be "someone" in their field. It will end up unhappy and grinding everyday too and they’ll say “I hate my job”. Even if you’re not splitting it out from your mouth, it will be in your heart.



“Yes this is what everyone want and some can’t even get it.”, “You are making a success!”, “Oh! You are meant to be in this job!”, “You can have a great fortune!”, “You have a job that’s good enough.”, “How can I be without you?”.

The praises and convincing words sound familiar? Everyone love these words, me too. But one day I realized the promising thoughts and the words were brain-washer. That’s where you lost yourself. That’s where I lost myself.

Now

Yes I quit my almost 6 years job. Collect my lost soul and spirit back. I’m now learning and working on stuff I like, I’m happy. I’m closer with my friends, I’m closer with my families and gosh! I regretted that I missed so much treasured moment with them. I was incredibly impatient but now not. I’m still unemployed but I’m glad of my decision which lead me found my passion and life. I had a dream, covered it at the bottom forgotten. Now I’m trying to make my dream come true, and I’m happy.

Discover what matters most to you and turn grinding into a positive.

Yes everyone need a job, need income and think leaving a job is risky. It’s true. But if you’re unhappy with your job and saying “it’s killing me” everyday, why? You have to make yourself literally dying because of your job?

"You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you're not passionate enough from the start, you'll never stick it out."
― Steve Jobs

I’m sure where you’re at is not the only place you can end up with. Everyone has a dream, a passion. I believe with your passion you can work your dream out. Do something! And anything to get closer to your dream, at least you won’t say sorry to your life in your last breath at the end.

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins."
-Benjamin Franklin

Step out from your comfort zone!

Working parents, understand that you have kids relying on you. But I believe there’s always a way and I’m sure your kids will be proud of you pursuing your dream, parents are role models J


I hope that this will help and gives you courage to make decision – a decision to your life.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Header Background Designed by Freepik